Police investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have received nearly 1,000 calls and emails in response to a fresh appeal for information.
There have been more than 730 calls and 212 emails as a result of "specific lines of inquiry" about the events leading up to and surrounding Madeleine's abduction in Portugal on May 3 2007 , Scotland Yard said.
Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood said detectives are working through the calls and material generated by last night's BBC Crimewatch programme.
He said: " We have now had over 730 calls and 212 emails as a direct result of the specific lines of inquiry we issued yesterday concerning events in the lead-up to, and on the night of Thursday May 3 2007 when Madeleine was abducted - 330 calls into the Operation Grange incident room, 400 to BBC1 Crimewatch.
"Detectives are now trawling through and prioritising that material. This will take time."
Mr Redwood, who is travelling to Holland and Germany to continue the appeal, said: "I will be repeating similar appeals in Holland this evening on a programme called Opsporing Verzocht, and in Germany tomorrow night Aktenzeichen XY...ungelost."
A reward of up to £20,000 is being offered for information leading to the identification, arrest and prosecution of those responsible for Madeleine's abduction, he said, adding that there are 40 people waiting to answer calls at any time, and officers waiting to "action the information".
Crimewatch editor Joe Mather said the response to the programme was "truly unprecedented". S ome callers had given the same name for a man spotted carrying a child towards the beach in Praia da Luz.
He said there were lots of calls from British people in the town around the time of Madeleine's disappearance who had never previously spoken to police, telling BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "They received several names for the key 10pm sighting, the sighting of a man carrying a child towards the beach.
"Several different names but also several callers mentioned the same name for that man."
Mr Mather said there were "inevitably a fair few calls" which were not helpful but there were "genuinely calls that were helpful" after last night's broadcast.
During last night's programme, Mr and Mrs McCann urged people to "rack their brains" and come forward with information.
Mrs McCann said: "Please, please have the courage and confidence to come forward now, and share that information with us, and you could unlock this whole case, so please."
Her husband, who in a live interview on the show said they were "hopeful and optimistic", said people should find hope from recent cases in which abducted children had been found after long periods.
"These cases can get solved, and I think that's what the public need to think about tonight, the new information, and really rack their brains and come forward, really."
During the show, t wo new e-fits of a man were broadcast, while police said they had effectively ruled out a previous key sighting of a different man carrying a little girl - suggesting Madeleine may have been taken closer to 10pm that night.
Viewers were shown two images of a dark-haired man, based on descriptions from two witnesses who were staying in Praia da Luz when the three-year-old went missing.
Mr Redwood said during the show that two independent callers had put forward the same name for the man and another caller gave a name of a man who was known to be in Portugal at the time of Madeleine's disappearance.
Witnesses described the man in the new e-fits as white, aged between 20-40, with short brown hair, of medium build, medium height and clean-shaven.
While p olice appealed for information on that suspect, o fficers now say that a man seen carrying a child by the McCanns' friend Jane Tanner was an innocent British holidaymaker.
Mr Redwood said: "Our focus in terms of understanding what happened on the night of May 3 has now given us a shift of emphasis. We are almost certain that the man seen by Jane Tanner is not Madeleine's abductor.
"It takes us through to a position at 10pm when we see another man who is walking towards the ocean, close by to the apartment, with a young child in his arms.
"This child is described as being about three to four years of age with blonde hair, possibly wearing pyjamas, and the man is a white man with dark hair."
Investigators are also trying to identify mysterious fair-haired men seen "lurking around" the apartment at the time who could be Dutch or German, and TV appeals will be run in Holland and Germany.
Two e-fits of the fair-haired men have been released.
One is of a man seen twice by the same witness near the flat where the McCanns were staying. He was 30 to 35, thin, with short hair, shaving spots on his face and was wearing a black leather jacket. Another witness saw a similar-looking man in the resort.
Police are also looking at a spate of break-ins in the area, one of which happened in the same week a year before Madeleine went missing, where a man got into a flat where young children were sleeping. Other lines of inquiry are bogus charity collectors operating in the area at the time, and a spate of burglaries that peaked in the month Madeleine went missing.
On the day that Madeleine disappeared, there were four occasions where bogus charity collectors targeted properties in the area.
There are also two e-fits of Portuguese men - one aged 40 to 45, who knocked on the door of the apartment where the McCanns were to stay on April 25 or 26 between 2.30pm and 3pm, saying that he was a charity collector.
The other, aged 25 to 30, approached a property on the Rua do Ramalhete, near the Ocean Club, at around 4pm on May 3.