Detectives have handed another two files to prosecutors relating to Scotland Yard's phone-hacking inquiry.
At least two police officers feature in the fresh batch of evidence sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.
A CPS spokesman said: "This week we have received one file for charging advice involving a police officer in relation to an allegation of misconduct in a public office, and one file for charging advice involving a police officer and in relation to an alleged offence of misconduct in a public office and other associated matters."
Rebekah Brooks is among 19 other suspects in the scandal facing criminal charges after police sent their first set of files to prosecutors last month.
Former News of the World chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck featured in the first set of files but has been told he will not be charged with intimidating a witness or harassment.
Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer has said he was facing "very difficult and sensitive decisions". He said his new guidelines setting out how journalists may have broken the law will help lawyers.
Police launched Operation Weeting, the inquiry devoted specifically to phone hacking, after receiving "significant new information" from News International on January 26 last year.
Operation Elveden was launched months later after officers were given documents suggesting News International journalists made illegal payments to police officers.
The files handed to prosecutors are also understood to cover three other operations: Sasha, an inquiry into perverting the course of justice; Kilo, an inquiry into police leaks; and Tuleta, the investigation into computer-related breaches.
Metropolitan Police figures showed there were 829 potential victims of phone hacking, of whom 231 were said to be uncontactable. The scandal has already led to the closure of the News of the World after 168 years, prompted a major public inquiry, and forced the resignation of Met commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and his assistant John Yates.