Dec 17 2012 By Cheryl Mullin
A LIGHT snack left a pet dog fighting for his life - after he wolfed down his owner’s Christmas decorations.
Charlie, a seven-year-old crossbreed dog from Southampton, swallowed a foot of fairy lights and had to undergo life-saving surgery at veterinary charity PDSA.
Charlie has a track record for getting his paws, and teeth, on household objects, having once eaten his owner Sharon Fay’s scarf.
Ms Fay, who aptly refers to her dog as the “light of her life”, became concerned when she noticed bits of wire sticking out of Charlie’s faeces in the garden.
The 45-year-old said: “I hadn’t even noticed the lights had been chewed at this stage but it quickly became clear what had happened.
“Back in March he ate one of my scarves and needed an operation to remove it, but I thought it was just a one-off incident as he hadn’t shown any signs that he was going to be a repeat offender. I’ve had dogs all my life and have never known a dog act like this before.”
An X-ray showed the tangled remains of the lights in Charlie’s stomach and vets rushed to removed the decorations – and a shoelace.
PDSA senior veterinary surgeon Sophie Bell said: “Over the years I’ve seen plenty of cases of dogs swallowing strange objects – socks, dummies, rubber ducks, but it’s the first time any of us have treated a dog that has actually eaten fairy lights.”
“With the Christmas season upon us, I’d advise owners to keep any edible items out of reach of inquisitive pets to avoid them from becoming ill over the festive season.”
Charlie returned home and has since gone on to make a full recovery, much to the delight of his owner.
Ms Fay said: “I’ll certainly be keeping an extra close eye on him and have Charlie-proofed my house now.”