AN ELDERLY woman suffered burns after her hairdressing gown caught fire in a Wirral salon.
A candle from a birthday cake are believed to have caused the blaze at John Hemingway Hair, in Wallasey Village.
John Hemingway, who is in his late 50s and owns the salon, burned his hands as he tried to put out the flames on the clothes of the 83-year-old woman.
The fire started just after 12.20pm on Saturday and was out by the time firefighters arrived.
Mr Hemingway and the woman, who is from the area, were taken to Arrowe Park Hospital. They were later transferred to the burns unit at Whiston Hospital.
Neighbours said Mr Hemingway returned on Saturday night with heavy bandaging on his hand.
He declined to speak to the News yesterday.
The elderly woman was treated for what are believed to be 18% burns.
She was described as being in a “satisfactory” condition earlier this week.
Village shopkeepers spoke of their shock at what had happened.
One said: “Mr Hemingway has had the salon for years. He always presents elderly customers with a cake on their birthdays. It was so sad to hear what happened – I hope she is OK.”
Mike Kirby, of Merseyside fire service’s incident investigation team, said: “The cause of the fire was suspected to be accidental, with a candle from a birthday cupcake setting light to the arm of a nylon hairdressing gown worn by an elderly woman.”
Wirral Council’s environmental health team is investigating the blaze.