A FATHER and son had a lucky escape when a television in their Rock Ferry home caught fire as they slept.
Fortunately their house was kitted out with smoke detectors and the son, aged 18, was woken up by the alarm.
He was able to raise his 35-year-old-dad, who then attempted to douse the blaze before they both made a sharp exit.
When firefighters arrived on scene, they found the first floor bedroom well alight and were forced to use a high pressure hose to make it safe.
The incident occurred at around 7pm last Thursday, March 31 at a property on Southdale Road.
Both of the occupants escaped with light smoke inhalation, but the first floor bedroom was severely damaged and the rest of the floor was smoke damaged.
Crews from Birkenhead and Bromborough attended.
Watch manager Alan Mountfield said: “The fire service fitted the smoke alarms which raised the alarm and the occupier acted on the advice given to him during a Home Fire Safety Check.”