THOUSANDS of people marked the 75th anniversary of the Queensway Tunnel by walking beneath the River Mersey.
Up to 15,000 people took part in one of five walk-through processions staged to mark the occasion on Sunday.
The proceeds raised through ticket sales were donated to Claire House Children’s Hospice, in Bebington.
Everyone who joined the walk through the 3.24km tunnel, officially opened by King George V in July 1934, received a medal to commemorate the day.
Event organisers said the walk was a legacy of the special event held last year to celebrate European Capital of Culture.
Merseytravel chairman Cllr Mark Dowd said: "This year we wanted to plan something special to celebrate a milestone in the history of the tunnel.
“Seventy-five years on, it is still an amazing feat of engineering and we have brought some of that history back to life.
“We had 12,000 people pre-book and thousands more registered on the day.
“The fact that the event was for charity and that so many people took part is a great success story.
“As well as supporting Claire House by taking part, some people were also raising money for their chosen charities which was fantastic.”
Workers who built the Queensway Tunnel – at the time the largest underwater road tunnel in the world – were among the crowd of thousands celebrating its history. Victor Chinn, who is 100 years old and lives in Stockbridge Village, worked on the Queensway for a year.
Jack Green, 96, who now lives in Cambridgeshire, started work on the tunnel when he was just 16.
The men shared an emotional journey through the tunnel, travelling in a vintage 1934 car.
Among those taking part in the walk were Jan Davies, 54, from Wallasey, and husband John Davies, 62.
Mrs Davies, a nursing auxiliary, said: “My late father Sam Rogers walked through the Queensway Tunnel when it first opened 75 years ago. He died two years ago so we wanted to walk in memory of him.
“It has been a fantastic event for Merseyside and was held for a very worthy cause.”