Bromborough worker fights for life after chemical spill
A PLANT worker was today fighting for his life after suffering severe burns in a chemical spill.
The 44-year-old man was being treated by specialists at the Royal Liverpool hospital for extensive burns to his face.
Bosses at chemicals manufacturer SAFC Hitech, in Bromborough, told of their shock after the incident at 8.10am yesterday.
Part of the factory in Power Road, near to Croft Business Park, was shut down as the Health and Safety Executive opened an investigation.
Site director Arnaud Verhaeghe told the ECHO: “This is a terrible event because safety is our main concern – it is our priority.
“Our motto is employees should go back home as they came in. We don’t want them to be hurt.”
Police cordoned off roads around the factory after reports of the spill.
The man was taken to Arrowe Park hospital by ambulance before being transferred to the Royal.
He was in a critical condition last night.
SAFC, which produces chemical compounds used in a variety of products including pharmaceutics, food and drinks and electronics, confirmed an investigation was underway.
A spokesman for parent company Simga-Aldrich said: “An employee suffered burns and is receiving treatment.
“The site emergency response team and emergency services quickly contained the incident. The process was shut down pending the investigation outcome.
“At this time our concerns are with the health of our employee. A full investigation is underway.”
Staff leaving work at the site yesterday declined to talk about what happened.