Arrowe Park hospital, Wirral
FOUR wards were closed at two Wirral hospitals because of a stomach bug outbreak.
Wards 22, 24 and 38 at Arrowe Park were yesterday shut to visitors to stop the spread of norovirus.
Ward R1, the stroke rehabilitation unit at Clatterbridge Hospital, was also closed.
A spokesman at Wirral Hospitals trust, which runs both sites, said ward 22 had since been reopened.
The closures have not affected Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology, which is run by a separate trust.
The spokesman added: "These wards will be monitored on a regular basis and will remain closed until further notice."
The trust has seen several outbreaks of the vomiting bug this year. The whole of Arrowe Park was shut for several days in July and wards were closed in February.
The virus is easily transmitted from one person to another by contact with an infected person, or through contaminated food or drink or touching contaminated surfaces or objects.
It can be difficult to control because it is so easily spread but the best way is to disinfect contaminated areas, washing hands and to avoid handling food.
Also, those who have been infected should be isolated for 48 hours after their symptoms have gone away.